July 18, 2014

Fun with Dinosaurs {A Dinosaur Tea Party}


(Source: Charlie Brown's 'Cyclopedia, Volume 3) 

(Whoops! In the last post I shared a lot of photographs of the Small Dinosaur World we made, but forgot to put in the most important photo - the one showing the whole small world, in it's entirety. I've gone back and added it in, if you want to go and check it out.) 

To bring this awesome theme to a close, what could be better than a dinosaur tea party with real yummy fossil dinosaur cookies.



The recipe I used is for roll-into-balls-and-squash-down-with-a-fork-cookies. The original recipe called for brown sugar, but as I didn't have any, I  used white sugar instead.

Basic recipe
225 grams / 1/2 lb. butter
125ml. / 1/2 a cup of sugar (white or brown)
1 egg yolk
500ml. / 2 cups of flour (I used cake flour)

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolk and beat further. Fold in the flour and then using your hands knead into a dough. The texture is quite crumbly, but keep kneading until you have a nice dough. Roll the dough into small balls about 1.5/2cm across in size. Use a fork to flatten them or invite in a friendly dinosaur to stomp on them for you. :)

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 8 to 10 minutes.

These cookies are better the day after I think. They become more crunchy.

Adapted Gluten free/Casein free Cookies
225 grams / 1/2 lb.dairy free margarine (I used Blossom Light)
125ml. / 1/2 a cup of sugar (white or brown)
1 egg yolk
625ml. / 2 and a half cups of flour (I used Glutagon GF Cake flour)

The texture of this dough is very different to the basic recipe. It is not crumbly at all; rather quite sticky, which is why I added the extra flour. My oldest, the eater of these, gave them a big thumbs up. This is definitely one of the better GF/CF  biscuits I've made over the years. 

We needed a special serving plate for our dinosaur cookies, so using this amazing inspiration from Three Little Monkey's Studio blog, I made this T-Rex dish from a paper plate. It's an easy alternative to the melamine plate that Gretchen used.






To end off all the dinosaur fun, here are three really nice dinosaur links:
Some more DIY dinosaur eggs (these are so cool)
A girl's dino birthday party (with free printables)

If you are a South African reader, I do hope you enjoy these last few days of Winter holidays.

Till next time.

PS. Sharing this at The Weekly Kids Co-Op

3 comments:

Deborah Stewart said...

I just wanted to mention that you would love the book "Tearex" by Molly Idle to go with your dinosaur tea party! We read it in our class last year and had a tea party too!

Love and Lollipops said...

Thank you so much Deborah! I will definitely go check it out. :)

Gretchen @ Three Little Monkeys Studio said...

This is so cute! I love how his little arms are propping up the plate. Thanks for sharing with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...