May 6, 2011

Creating Board Games



I created this board game for play therapy , but Big One spotted it lying on the dining room table and wanted a go.


Board games are generally expensive to purchase and therapeutic board games even more so. As you may know, I am all for making Mommy-made toys and games and it's no different in my approach to play therapy. I really enjoy creating my own play therapy tools. This game was made from an old file and some recycled/rejected business cards, which I sourced from a local printing shop.

You may be wondering how board games fit into play therapy. Some times with older children, I find a game to be quite a non-threatening, playful way to approach more serious issues.

 
The game has pretty basic rules. Throw the dice and depending on where you land, you  either stay put, move forward or back, or pick a card. The card you pick has a word on it. These words include feelings (all sorts) and other words, like "mom, brother, friend, teacher, cheating, honesty, school, home, divorce, bully, punish, protect" etc. All you have to do, is say something about the word that is true for you or your life. 

Big One really enjoyed playing and he was very keen to hear what I had to say when it was my turn to pick a card :). His main priority though, was definitely to win! Don't you think the astronaut counters are cool? (Big One's contribution to the set-up)


Now you don't have to be a play therapist to play this kind of game with your child. You may want to stick to feeling words for starters, but then you could add in some more interesting words. Remember though, that your child must never feel pressurized to make a statement about a card and a statement made should never lead to an interrogation. The tone of the game should be fun.

Have you ever made a home-made board game to play with your child?

PS. I'm linking this to:
It's Playtime!
Show and Tell 
For the Kids Fridays 

2 comments:

Mariann said...

Hello
I made an Easter memory board game, you can find it here:

http://csupamoka2.blogspot.com/2011/04/husveti-tarsasunk.html

I recycled Kinder eggs :)

Km said...

What a marvelous way to spend quality, special time together!!! I think your board game offers so much more than traditional games. Have you ever seen The Ungame? It is a "communication"--- everybody wins type of game... You guys would like it! Xoxoxoxoxxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...