October 10, 2010

Colour Fun #9 - Buckets of Colour



Do you know that your child will remember anything that is correctly associated, anything outstanding, and anything that is appropriately repeated. This wonderful information is from Tony Buzan's book, Brain Child, one of my all time favourite parenting books. Tony Buzan calls a baby's brain, "a gigantic association machine". Another great bit of information to know about, is that memory is enhanced by the more senses that are involved.


Now the idea behind buckets of colour, was to create a fun memory and association with each colour represented.  I prepared all the buckets ahead of time and included items such as balloons, play dough, finger paint, bubbles, whistles, threading toys, plastic animals, stickers, bean bags and sweeties. Originally the plan was to have only small things in each bucket, so that I could close the bucket and take it along anywhere if I wanted to. Truthfully though, I added bigger things, like a flute and real fruit, which obviously didn't fit into the buckets.


I must say that these buckets became so much more than just colour fun. There was counting (3 little green frogs); numeracy (cutting the play food in half); imaginative play (play dough snakes eating the play food); fine motor skills (using the stickers and threading); body parts (sticking the stickers on body parts); gross motor activities with balloon and bean bag fun; sensory play (painting, smelling play dough, eating ice cream); language enrichment ("lets decorate our bucket with the stickers"); and, identifying shapes. For the colour "green", for example, we took our green bucket outside and had a "green" picnic on the grass. We sat on our green picnic blanket, ate a green apple and played with our green toys!

 
For lots more colour activities, pop on over to My Delicious Ambiguity, a wonderful blog with lots of tot activities. Jenn has a whole collection of colour activities posted here.

PS. I'm linking this to Tot Tuesdays and Show and Tell.

7 comments:

Kasey said...

Great idea.

KM said...

Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!! Love em. want em. Gotta have em!!!! :):) Maybe I'll make a set and share them with my kids. THANKS for the fantastic idea!

ShareandRemember said...

Where do find these cute little buckets?

Love and Lollipops said...

Hi Stacy

I found these at my local party shop. They are also available at the Plastic Warehouse.

Hope that helps!
Georgia

Caz said...

What a great idea, would love to try something like this with my girls!

Jane said...

This is so great! I haven't read that book. I'm putting it on hold at the library though, so thanks!

Melissa said...

The buckets are perfect for little hands! Thank you for linking me here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...